Wednesday, 1 June 2011

A-Z Authors - A


I found out about this through Phanee from funny wool and is hosted by Heather at Proud Book Nerd. I thought it looked quite fun so this month, I shall be doing a post every day (except Sundays) where I shall tell you about amazing authors that have surnames beginning with that letter. I hope you enjoy and tell me if you know any more with that letter and I'll add it to the post! Thanks.
NOTE: As I am doing my exams at the moment, I may miss days so shall combine letter together, I'll say if I do in the title - Thanks.
Here we go....

A
    Jane Austen was an English writer born in 1775 and wrote stories, mostly love, until her death in 1817. She had four brothers and a sister, Cassandra and lived in Steventon, Hampshire mostly with her parents at a parish as her father was a clergyman (priest). She based many of her characters from her stories on her family and the people around her in the small village. Her debut novel was Pride and Prejudice (published 1813) which is also probably her most famous. It took her years to get it published as in those days, women were seen to not publish books about love, like Austen wrote about. 

I personally love her after falling in love with Pride and Prejudice when studying it in English Literature. She has a real sense of how people behave and how they interact with one another. All her characters seem original yet relatable. A lot of her books have been made into films which makes them so much more enjoyable without having to tackle her writing style which is quite complicated.
Other books include Emma, Sense and Sensibility, Northanger Abbey, Mansfield Park and Persuasion. 

Books that follow her life or spin-offs of her novels:
- I was Jane Austen's Best Friend by Cora Harrison
- Cassandra's Sister by Veronica Bennett
- Love, Lies and Lizzie by Rosie Rushton (and others by Rosie Rushton)

3 comments:

  1. Yay!! So glad you decided to do it too!! It really is a great way to meet new authors!

    And how can Austen NOT be a choice for A??? :)

    Looking forward to the rest of the alphabet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, excellent choice! I am a HUGE Jane Austen fan, too!

    Thanks for playing along! I look forward to seeing who else you're going to share! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha thanks! :)
    I know, she is one of these that you kind of have to put there, a lot of people like her work or something to do with her work :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*