Sunday, 14 November 2010

Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher

I found this book in the Oxfam shop where I work for £1.99. It wasn't a Gift Aid, so I don't know who donated it but considering the fact it's a relative new released book to the UK. So anyway, I finished it this morning.


When Clay comes home from school, he finds a shoebox full of thirteen audiotapes on his front step. Thinking nothing of it, he gets them out and starts to listen, soon finding out that they are audiotapes made by his first love, Hannah Baker. The Hannah Baker who commited suicide two weeks earlier.
As Clay listens to the tapes throughout the night, he discovers the thirteen reasons why Hannah killed herself. The Thirteen people who influenced her descision to kill herself. The thirteen people which includes Clay.



I don't quite yet know what I think of this book. It was done in a way so we read Hannah's tapes and got Clay's reactions to them as well. It also was done this way so you as a reader have to keep reading to know where Clay comes into the story. And even after you hear his, you want to read on. I must admit, I was more into the book after I found out how Clay came into it.
I think the reason why I'm not sure is because, it was so damn depressing. I mean, you're reading the script of a dead girl's suicide tapes that include 13 people's names for doing something completely idiotic to this poor girl. And also, I didn't get the end. The end was good and I like how there was a 'The Next Day' so you have an idea how Clay coped with it afterwards.
Now, I'm not saying I thought the book was bad. No way. I'm just unsure about my feelings and enjoyment of it. It's an incredible powerful, hard hitting book about a topic a lot of teenagers may go through.

The reasons relate around reputation and as a teenager myself, I know what it's like to try and uphold a decent reputation around school. It's hard. Everything you do is judged. That time you slipped over in the corridor, laughed about for weeks. The time you told a 'friend' something and they just go around a tell everyone else: you feel insecure for weeks. And although, an adult reading this might think that then, schools are messed up and the school I go to is terrible, it's life. Let's face it, everyone has 'those' moments. You just try and not have too many.
This is a gripping book for older teenagers due to the content within it and the references made.

I give it a 3 out of 5

Author's Website: http://www.thirteenreasonswhy.com/book.php

5 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I have a copy of this one sitting on my shelf but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. It sounds like an emotional one.

    I'm liking the UK cover better then the US one.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book...the set up was unusual, but I love the message that there are connections and influences between people that we're sometimes unaware of even when we're in the thick of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha thank you :) Yeah, it is pretty emotional and powerful.
    Yeah it was unusual, and very different a book to anything I've ever read before. It really hit home for me a little as I am that age myself.

    Thanks for commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree. I didn't know what to think of this book. Did you hear they are making a movie out of it? I think Selena Gomez is playing Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SERIOUSLY? I don't mind Selena Gomez, but this is a role I can't imagine her play. Well, that would be interesting to see in movie-form.

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*