Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Diving In - Kate Cann

There isn't really a story for this one. I just saw it, thought I'd give it a go. The End. Sorry.
Anyway...there are a series of them...somehow? Because well it ended like that's the end. Nothing more else could happen...but something else obviously does. I'm not sure if I'll read the sequel :S

First Sentence: A huge sort of tremor ran through me. After so long, so much fantasizing, I'd actually kissed him. I hope he didn't see that shiver, I thought. I don't want him to know how overwhelmed I am, not yet

Coll hates her life. Nothing happens, her parents are annoying and she hardly talk to them, the only person whose ever liked her is her best friend and she isn't exactly the most popular person in school. But the one exciting thing in her life is The Boy From the Pool. Both going every Thursday night, Coll goes to the swimming baths and sees this gorgeous boy every time, but hasn't had the courage to talk to him. Until one amazing day when they do start and propels them into a exciting, intense and out of hand relationship...

To be honest, I found it flat. And boring. I know some of Kate Cann's other stuff which is supposed to be so good but this...well it didn't live up to my expectations. I found a few spelling mistakes - a pet hate of mine.
And it did take a while to get going. Art, the boy, is a complete and utter idiot. I'm sorry but WHY would someone fall for him with a personality like that. Though, I guess the author wanted us to hate him.
One reason why I probably won't read the whole series is because I can guess it's going to be like 'Do I love him or not? He's an idiot but I want to go out with him? Oh no. My life is over' kind of thing. Which I think will get on my nerves.
I have seem some good reviews and maybe this book just isn't for me. But I would say it's worth a try at least. The characters (apart from Art) are great and I loved Val. She made me laugh a couple of times. I would say, if you were thinking about reading this, do read it just for the sarcasm and jokes and it does teach you something about the potentical 'bad boyfriend that just wants sex' that most girls face at some point. I, thankfully, haven't yet and hopefully won't.
I've give it a 3.5 out of 5

Author's Website: http://www.katecann.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*