Monday, 15 August 2011

HELP! I need suggestions!

I need some book reader's help.

I won this award at the end of the school year, a quite well, it's the highest prize you can get (Yes I am filled to the brim of happiness but I think the award also shows my inner geek too so I don't tell everyone about it...)

So, with it I got a £15 ($23) voucher to buy a book of my choice to have my name in engraved in and I get a fancy trophy, even though the school, being recyclable obviously, takes it back a year later for my annoying and rude year below.
But this book can't be any book. I can't just rush to WH SMITHS and rush into the Young Adult section and buy about 3 books, oh no.
They have to be special books. Like ones you would use in the future for your future career (And I know what that is going to be...oh wait, let me get my crystal ball to have a look...) or a book that means something. And no, I'm not going to get Pride and Prejudice or Of Mice and Men and relive my English Literature coursework and exam all over again.

So I'm stuck. I was thinking of getting The Great Gatsby but I found out that's one of the books I'm doing in college and I don't want to write all over a special book.
So the only thought I have is Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (Yes, yes...) but I need another one.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a classic that I could get with the money? Or any suggestions of NOT what to get out of the classics? 
I would really appreciate it.

6 comments:

  1. How about To Kill A Mockingbird? Or Little Women? Or possibly The Secret Garden?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'm not great with Classics, the only two I have read are Little Women and The Secret Garden, as Lan said above. They are both great, although I prefer The Secret Garden.

    Well Done on your award!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about Jane Eyre or something by Dickens (David Copperfield is my fave)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second To Kill a Mockingbird, which Lan suggested. A different possibility if you like Tolkien is to get The Hobbit. You could also go for a biography of a person you admire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with To Kill A Mockingbird. Why can't you use YA? The Book Thief is a classic in the making. How about The Grapes of Wrath?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow! Thank you for your suggestions.
    To Kill a Mockingbird would be good but I did that a couple of years ago at school and it put me off the book for life. It's a good plot and whatever, but the analysing made me hate the book...a lot.

    Little Women, Jane Eyre and The Grapes of Wrath are all good suggestions. And BookGal, I love the suggestion of classic YA's. I have a copy of the Book Thief but I'm going to research what other ones are considered 'classics' or I can get away with. Thanks guy so much, this has given me some ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*