Sunday, 16 October 2011

Film Review: Pride and Prejudice (2005)

Starring: Keira Knightley (The Duchess), Rosamund Pike (Die Another Day), Donald Sutherland (Going to be in the new Hunger Games), Matthew McFadyen (Spooks), Rupert Friend (The Young Victoria), Brenda Blethyn (Atonement), Talulah Riley (St. Trinians), Carey Mulligan (An Education), Jena Malone (Sucker Punch), Simon Woods (Cranford), Kelly Reily (Sherlock Holmes), Tom Hollander (Pirates of the Caribbean)
Made in 2005 by Focus Features (US)
Filmed in various places in England
Directed by Joe Wright
Based on novel by Jane Austen published in 1813

L-R: Jena Malone (Lydia), Carey Mulligan (Kitty), Keira Knightley (Elizabeth),
Rosamund Pike (Jane), Talulah Riley (Mary)

It is universally acknowledged that Matthew McFadyen (who plays the one and only Mr Darcy) doesn't quite match the Darcy from the 1995 mini-series version of this book: Colin Firth. This maybe because of my particular likeness for Colin Firth since seeing him in The King's Speech but you know...he's well liked mostly because of the Mr Darcy role. Having seen some of the episodes of the 1995 version (and admittingly, I have the DVD of it - HEY. Don't judge. It was a joke birthday present), this version, ten years on, focuses much more on the cinematography of the film rather than the raw emotions like in the 1995 series.   
There are some beautiful images from the start that both represent feelings and events that happened in the book, but also to just make it a really nice movie to watch. It is slow, I admit, especially for non-Pride and Prejudice fans or non-Keira Knightley ones too as she is featured heavily in this lovely movie. 
I, however, like her, especially as she was born and bred around my area (as well as Bend It Like Beckham, which she featured in, being filmed around my town). So obviously, she is a personal favourite movie star of mine. 

This movie shows clearly the events in Pride and Prejudice as well as adding a slight modern look to the film although keeping with the traditional manners, dress and formalities of 18th Century England. There is some lovely scenes where the characters do not have to tell you how they're feeling, you just kind of know. In short, this movie's best strength is the way in which it has been filmed - it is utterly beautiful. 

The acting is also not too bad. Keira Knightley shows both the attractive and clever sides to Elizabeth Bennet although when she is angry, it isn't Knightley's best moments beauty wise. I also found her take on Elizabeth rather moody at points, a tad like Darcy is known to be. 
Matthew McFadyen was a great Darcy and clearly showed that change from maintaining pride to loving Elizabeth, it was like a truly completely different Darcy. The other actors also reflected their characters personalities in the novel well with the amusement we find between Mr and Mrs Bennet and Lydia's innocence and stupidity of being a giddy young teenager. Carey Mulligan as Kitty was a very different role from perhaps we see her doing now, being a big Hollywood actress. 
For me, the perfect choice for character was Rosamund Pike as Jane. Jane is supposed to be absolutely beautiful, in and out. Comforting. Everyone's favourite character and elegant. In the 1995 version, Jane is hardly any of these. Pike was a good choice for Jane. She became the Jane I see in my head when I read anything to do with Pride and Prejudice.

Overall, this film was full of amazing actors and actresses. It was shot beautifully and captured the essence of the 1700's and the world of Jane Austen. It was like stepping back in time...even though there are a few movie mistakes. 

7 comments:

  1. Rebecca, I am in love with Jane Austen's style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, I changed my name of the blog, now is http://coloured-bubbles.blogspot.com/ . A beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this movie. I'm a huge fan of the book and I think this movie captures it pretty darn well, as well as being visually beautiful and easy for non-Austenites to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I mean I watched this movie after reading the book and NOT understanding it and I realised what happened perfectly. One of my favourite movies now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Rebecca for following me:) I feel enthusiast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this movie. Unfortunately I have not read the book. I watch this movie on for 3 years, over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the movie is great, I think better than the book but then I'm not a massive fan of older language. I just like the plot, setting and characters.

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*