Monday, 17 January 2011

Bright Young Things - Anna Godberson

This is the first post of Anna Godberson Week!
I love The Luxe Series. I absolutely love it and own all the books in the series. So, you can imagine my excitment when I found out last September that I had to wait 4 months until Anna Godberson's new book came out while in America, it was released earlier and I had the thrill of reading on the blogosphere about how great it was.
I'm kinda glad I waiting actually. Anyway, I bought this on Waterstone's when they were having a half price pre-order deal. Yeah, I ordered this and two other books about 3 months before they came out...I was kinda desperate.

Favourite Sentence: 'One shall be married, one shall be famous and one shall be dead'

Synopsis: The year is 1929. New York is ruled by the Bright Young Things: flappers and socialites seeking thrills and chasing dreams in the anything-goes era of the Roaring Twenties.

Letty Larkspur and Cordelia Grey escaped their small Midwestern town for New York's glittering metropolis. All Letty wants is to see her name in lights, but she quickly discovers Manhattan is filled with pretty girls who will do anything to be a star.
Cordelia, however, is searching for the father she's never known, a man as infamous for his wild parties as he is for his shadowy schemes. Overnight, she enters a world more thrilling and glamorous than she ever could have imagined—and more dangerous. The only person Cordelia can trust is Astrid Donal, a flapper who seems to have it all: money, looks, and the love of Cordelia's brother, Charlie. But Astrid's perfect veneer hides a score of family secrets.
Across the vast lawns of Long Island, in the illicit speakeasies of Manhattan, and on the blindingly lit stages of Broadway, the three girls' fortunes will rise and fall. (Goodreads)


Review: For starters, this book is very different to the The Luxe. Throughout, I was trying to compare Letty, Astrid and Cordelia to Elizabeth, Diana, Penelope and Lina. But Godberson is so clever, that she's made them slightly similar but also completely new and inviting characters that we love as much as The Luxe ones. It's hard to say which ones they are like.
   The writing in this book was so good, the way she just illistrates something so clearly in your mind is great and I think that's one thing that I love about her books. However, I, like many other reviews I've read, found it slow to start off with and slightly boring and also, (trying not to give too much away) the argument at the beginning is over something petty. Although, personally, I think Cordelia and Letty are better apart and I liked it like that throughout the book. I would say my favourite character at the moment is Astrid. You start off by thinking she is one of these spoilt, annoying, hateful characters but you kind of learn to love her, in a way. I found Letty a tad annoying nearer the end when with Mr Glenn. And Grady...oh Grady, he's so lovely. And Luke. I think most of the boys in this book are great, much like The Luxe. The only one that I didn't particularly like was Charlie. He changes so easily!
   I also liked how the beginning part when they are in New York links to the rest of the book. The ending also leaves on a bit of a cliffhanger and I found myself sitting there, thinking  'No! What happens next?'

The other great thing about this book for me, Miss GCSE History is that we study 1920's American Popular Culture, like the flappers so I could really relate to the book and understood everything.
The book is set in May 1929 - I think we all know what happens in October 1929 - Wall Steet Crash, so I'm thinking that's going to added nearer the end of the series...

Overall, this book isn't as flawless as The Luxe Series was, but still has originality and is different to most books out there. The characters are well written and there is at least one I think that everyone will love. All I can say is bring on the book #2! Which is due out in September....great.

I give it 4 out of 5

Author's Website: http://www.bytseries.com/

Related Posts: 
 The Luxe Series: Splendor #4
Book #2: Beautiful Days

5 comments:

  1. I <3 your reveiw and I think I'll give this book a read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds awesome! I definitely will look into reading it in the future. I love when books relate to something I am learning in school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, especially in history - it just makes me understand it more?
    haha thanks joey. yeah I love that decade too, the culture and entertainment is really interesting. They used to do live fish-eating competitions...nice.

    Thanks for commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book. It made me want to read more historical fiction. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*