Saturday, 7 July 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books for Sarah Dessen fans

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and The Bookish. 


I haven't done one of these is so long! 
This week's theme is books that people who love Sarah Dessen's books would also enjoy. (HINT: read some Dessen if you haven't already, she's quite marvellous). 
I love Sarah Dessen. With a passion (and not in a creepy way). Her books are so good and I love every single one I've read of hers completely. They have a similar plot and characters but I quite like knowing what the end will be like in a way.
My favourites have to be The Truth About Forever, Just Listen and Along for the Ride - but I would recommend any of them. Actually, I would say I like them so much that I simply can't review them on here as I don't think I can do them justice. 
So what makes a Sarah Dessen novel? Well, it's normally based around a female teenage protagonist which has a serious issue happening to her (e.g. divorce, death), a very nice looking guy that normally has some sort of friendly relationship with the protagonist - which turns into something more, some amazing friends that you wish you knew yourself and well, a lovely ending. These are just such lovely books to enjoy and sit down and just plain read. 


Reviews:        Dreamland    |    Infinity     
Here are some books that reminded me of her:


1. Audrey, Wait! - Robin Benway - Audrey, Wait! reminded me a lot of Sarah Dessen's This Lullaby with the music and popular culture references. It's also very similar in plot with a song that means something personal to the protagonist (Remy and Audrey) becomes a huge hit around the world and makes them kind of famous. I just liked the contemporary writing of this book and the amazing characters that as a reader, I really got to know and love. (review)


2. Teen Idol - Meg Cabot - This focusses on Jen who is 'everyone's best friend', much like Annabel in Just Listen before the whole thing with Sophie happens (kind of). Jen has to look after Luke Striker, a famous Hollywood actor who needs to be normal to experience a real high-school environment for a new movie. While Jen doesn't exact fall into Luke's arms by the end, she does fall into someone's. Meg Cabot and Sarah Dessen totally both understand what being a teenager is like - completely. (review)


3. Saving June - Hannah Harrington - In my review for this book, I even wrote that the characters are very similar to Sarah Dessen and I still stand by that - especially The Truth About Forever and Just Listen. The plot and storyline constantly reminded me of Sarah Dessen also and I would definitely point this book out to anyone that was a Dessen fan - for sure. (review)


4. Twenty Boy Summer - Sarah Ockler - This book for me was a massive mix of some of my favourite book such as Saving June, The Sky is Everywhere and of course, the Dessen. This is a real look at teenage problems, especially psychologically. This isn't the best book I've ever read but if you enjoy girly, teenage books, such as Dessen, then this would be right up your street! (review)


5. Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac - Gabrielle Zevin - This is a very fun and lovely read that any female teenager would enjoy. Zevin uses the same type of characters, plot and writing as Dessen that makes this lovely to read. It's also very mysterious as you have to find out what was happening in Naomi's life with her before she hits her head and wakes up remembering nothing. I think I need to re-read this for definite.(review)


6. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky - Sarah Dessen is one of those authors I think every single female teenager should read and find out how to deal with the problems the protagonists face and because of the romance. However, I, then, read this book last year and realised that every single teenager should read this book - this, for me, is the survival guide to adolescence. Not a favourite of mine, but still, everyone should read it. (review)


7. Dash and Lily's Book of Dares - David Levithan and Rachel Cohn - Not only did this remind me of Sarah Dessen but also of John Green - another great author. I think this mostly for the setting as in all of Sarah Dessen's books, and in John Green's, the setting is so vividly described that you can imagine it quite easily which really can make or break a book sometimes - here the setting is the wonderful New York with landmarks mentioned that any tourist would recognise such as Macy's and places they wouldn't (some of which I would like to visit now). David Levithan's writing particularly reminded me of John Green whom he collaborated with for Will Grayson, Will Grayson. (review)


8. The Fault in Our Stars - John Green - on the theme of books everyone should read, THIS. Before this year, I had never read a perfect book. Sure, Sarah Dessen was pretty close with Along for the Ride, Just Listen and The Truth About Forever but there was always something that, not ruined it, but didn't quite make it perfect for me. However, this is what I call the perfect book. Read it, and see. (review)



6 comments:

  1. you listed several authors I've heard so much about and still haven't read. fun list today. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful selection! And it's summer so that means I can bath in contemporary novels without a tiny bit of shame or regret :) Actually, I'm planning to read Twenty Boy Summer anytime soon - I'd be in the mood for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea - it is such a summer read - I read it while on holiday and it really puts you in the mood for summer :)

      Delete
  3. Great goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely fantastic. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you're stating and the
    way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and
    you still take care of to keep it sensible.
    I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a tremendous site.
    Here is my site : infant monkey costume

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for your next post thanks once again.
    Visit my webpage - Se416.Socialengine101.Com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible! This blog looks just like my old one!
    It's on a entirely different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Great choice of colors!
    Here is my website - help quit smoking

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*