Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Tuesday Top Ten: Books I HAD to buy...but yet to actually read

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and The Bookish. 


FREEBIE WEEK. I saw this as a past topic and thought it appropriate. 
For the last couple of weeks, I have seen reviews or people have asked me of books which I know are sitting lonesome on my bookshelf after me splurging on buying them - waiting for the day I will finally pick them up to read. It's actually really bad, the amount of books I need/want to read that I have available to me - yet I simply feel I have no time to read them in my life or that I put the book off seeing another book I want to read in the library. It's bad, I know. 
So here are some books that need some attention from sitting unread on my bookshelf waay too long (I do want to read them!):


1. What Happened to Goodbye - Sarah Dessen - I pre-ordered this for its UK release last June. YES. LAST JUNE. I have nothing else to say apart from I am ashamed. 


2. Fever - Lauren DeStefano - I bought this only in February yet it feels like it's been gathering dust on my bookshelf for a long time. I read the first book in the series, Wither (review), at the end of 2011 so I was sort of still in the 'OH MY GOD WITHER' mood for the UK release of Fever


3. The Killables - Gemma Malley - When I heard that Gemma Malley was releasing another book after the success of The Declaration series (reviews for Book 1, 2 and 3), I was very happy and excited. So when at work, this was on sale, I jumped at the chance in my excitement. 


4. One Day - David Nicholls - since this release last year and then the sudden surge in popularity following the film adaptation starring Anne Hathaway, I had searched high and low for this book at the best price because I loved the idea. Eventually, I found this in a charity bookshop near my college for I think about £1.99/£2.99. Despite my delight for acquiring a copy for so cheap, I am yet to wallow in the cheapness of such a book (meaning I haven't read it yet...)


5. Alone in Berlin - Hans Fallada - Alone in Berlin. One of the novels that had intrigued me for years since starting to study the Second World War. Similarly to One Day, I bought this in the charity shop I worked in last summer after a customer told me it was the best book he had ever read when I was looking at it. I took that as a recommendation. 


6. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak - I bought this in Waterstone's infamous 3 for 2 offer that included Never Let Me Go (another one that could be added to this list) and If I Stay (review). I bought this as they recommended it to me for my History GCSE which was partly on Nazi Germany - the setting for this book. I am so rubbish. Here's the 'On My Bookshelf' that I posted it in - click here


7. The Summer I Turned Pretty - Jenny Han - Ah, the Waterstone's 3 for 2 offer strikes again. I bought this in my first 'On My Bookshelf' meme (click here to have a lookie) which was on 25th August 2010. THAT WAS NEARLY TWO YEARS AGO. AND THIS IS STILL ON MY SHELF UNREAD. I wanted to read it because I loved the synopsis and the cover. I can't have loved it THAT much though...(I am determined to read this before the 2 year mark)


8. A Company of Swans - Eva Ibbotson - I have all the Eva Ibbotson books. I wanted all of them because she was so good. Have I read them all even though she is my favourite author? Nein. 

6 comments:

  1. Great list! Don't feel bad, we all have stacks of books that we have yet to get to reading. Have a fantastic week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww - don't feel bad, there are so many books out there that we all to read, some of them will probably get ignored for a while (.... a long while :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read The Book Thief and One Day and loved them both ... particularly One Day as that was a really recent read! I'm actually currently watching the film version right now, and so far it's great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good! I think I'll try and read The Book Thief at least by the end of the holidays - it's time.
      I wanted to see the movie when it was in cinemas but...didn't. It looks good - but apparently Anne Hathaway's accent isn't that fantastic?

      Delete
  4. I just HAD to get Wither, but haven't got round to reading it yet... You need to read The Killables, it's awesome! Haha, this is such a great topic idea-- I'[m going to need to do one of these posts sometime...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was what happened for Wither with me - the cover was just TOO nice not to buy it. You should read it, it's very good - although I know some people didn't like it as much as others.

      I know! I love Gemma Malley - that may be another one on the hit-list for this holiday.
      Ah thank you! You should - it's really fun to do and reminded me of my to-read list :)

      Delete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*