Saturday, 21 July 2012

Author Interview: S.R. Johannes


Launched in February 2012, this is a special feature on Rebecca-Books where I ask 5 of the same question to different authors on their new books to get an insight into what they are about and what it was like writing them. To check out past and future authors for this feature, click here

~~~

Today, S.R. Johannes is here to talk answer the five questions on her new book, UNTRACEABLE. S.R. Johannes said she was a big fan of book bloggers (which is GREAT to hear from authors!) and I just LOVE the cover of UNTRACEABLE, so pretty.
This is the first in a series entitled The Nature of Grace in the dystopian genre - it reminded me a little of Uglies by Scott Westerfeld with the mention of Smokies. So dystopian fans, listen up.


Synopsis (from Goodreads.com): 16-year-old Grace has lived in the Smokies all her life, patrolling with her forest ranger father who taught her about wildlife, tracking, and wilderness survival. When her dad goes missing on a routine patrol, Grace refuses to believe he’s dead and fights the town authorities, tribal officials, and nature to find him.One day, while out tracking clues, Grace is rescued from danger by Mo, a hot guy with an intoxicating accent and a secret. As her feelings between him and her ex-boyfriend get muddled, Grace travels deep into the wilderness to escape and find her father. Along the way, Grace learns terrible secrets that sever relationships and lives. Soon she’s enmeshed in a web of conspiracy, deception, and murder. And it’s going to take a lot more than a compass and a motorcycle (named Lucifer) for this kick-butting heroine to save everything she loves.


What made you write UNTRACEABLE?
I visited the bear pits in Cherokee, NC and they bothered me so much, I wanted to bring attention to them in the hopes of shutting them down and focusing on the black bear's plight. My hubby is an avid camper and he always talks about how illegal things can go on in remote areas of the woods. I put those two ideas together.

What did you enjoy the most about writing it?
I love having a character like Grace who loves being in nature. I love nature but have never felt comfortable in the remote wilderness. I would love to have that kind of confidence to be outdoors without being scared of animals or freaks.

Describe the book in a sentence  
When Grace's forest ranger father disappears, she fights town officials, tribal leaders, and nature to find him only to uncover a conspiracy that changes her small town.

What advice would you give to future writers - both in the writing and publishing process?
Don't do what people say you should do. Find your own path and know it's okay if it looks different than everyone else's.

Are you working on anything else?
My novelette series started in June called Suffocate. The next two will be out by Xmas. The sequel to Untraceable comes out September 24th.


Thank you to S.R. Johannes for participating in 'The 5 Questions'!

Contact:




UNTRACEABLE is available now







1 comment:

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*