Wednesday, 22 December 2010

Love, Aubrey - Suzanne LaFleur

I'm writing this while listening to the music on Spotify - to be exact Blood Brothers at the moment. So I might suddenly exclaim what I'm listening to. Anyway, I found this book in my school library when I wandered into there when there was a German exam on and practically no-one was in my Maths class. And those that were, were playing some death game on the computer. Yeah. Nice.

Eleven year-old Aubrey has lost everything. Her family, friends and now, it seems like her future. She lives in her house with her pet fish, Sammy and SpaghettiOs, watching TV and eating cheese and crackers everyday. That's until, her grandmother turns up and whisks her to the house where she grew up in Vermount.
Aubrey learns that she's not completely alone and with the help of her Grandmother, her best friend and letters to the people she would like to tell what she is feeling to, she starts to take the first steps to having a life again. But then, she has to make a terrible decision - one that she has to choose between. Stay or go?


I've seen this book so many times in bookshops but I don't know, I think I thought it seemed too young for me with the main character being only 11. But it's not. This book is for any age, any interest and it really gets into your head a little. I mean, I found myself thinking about Aubrey after reading it the other day.
I found it really addictive. Once you got into it, you really wanted to know what happened in the end to this girl. My only critism. Well two really.
1) It took me a while to get into it. I think it was about page 70 that I realised that I was starting to get into the book. I think the beginning is dragged out a bit but then, I guess you need to know the beginning part to understand the book.
2) (It's Chicago now) I read a lot of reviews that it made people cry and even the front cover says 'She will make you cry'. But although, it IS about a 11 year old girl who has practically no family and how she gets on, I didn't find it so sad, that I would cry. I guess, I find it hard to cry for a book. If I Stay - Gayle Forman is the only book ever to make me cry physically. I'd have tears in my eyes but not cry. But I don't know...I didn't even have that in this book. I'm not saying I'm completely heartless. I did find it sad and a little depressing but it wasn't amazingly sad as reviews gave the illision of. I guess everyone sees books differently.

Anyway. That's my two critisms. I loved the way there were flashbacks in italics dotted around the book, it was effective as it was in first person and like you were looking in Aubrey's mind. It was very...personal. Which might be why it links into the crying issue. I loved Bridget, Gram and Aubrey. They were just...great. I want a Bridget. She's lovely and I wanted to hug her as much as Aubrey.
The character I hated. The Mother. Seriously, (I'm going to try and not reveal anything big so if it doesn't make sense then, that's probably why) you're her mother, would you really do that, even if you were depressed and down? And then trying to force her into something? Urgh. She just annoyed me when she turned up. But I guess that may be what Suzanna LaFleur was trying to do.
   Overall, this book should be read by everyone. It is a really lovely novel and nice to read for something completely different - it's just such a great novel and it does stay with you a while.

I give it a 4 out of 5

Author's Website: http://www.suzannelafleur.com/index.html

2 comments:

  1. great review! It helped me with my school assignment :) I also tough it was an incredible book x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so glad it helped you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*