Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Tuesday Top Ten: Books that all Teen readers SHOULD read (#15)

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and The Bookish.




This week's theme is Books that all teenagers SHOULD have read by the time they are 20 to help them in life.

1. Harry Potter series by J.K.Rowling - Okay, anyone above the age of 15 should absolutely love these books and be sad to see the franchise end. I was 6 when the first movie came out, and sadly, I cannot remember it, although I remember the film. The earliest film I can remember is the 3rd one, although strangely I can remember most of the books coming out. Harry Potter is a legacy that should continue and become a legend in the film and book industry for other young authors and film makers to follow. It should be a classic, much like we see the Back to the Future series now or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly movie. It just should be remembered.

2. Sarah Dessen books - All of her books, I think, teach us a lesson on how to treat one another, whether for love, friendship or family. She is also a great author and writes some lovely stuff. For me, she is the ultimate teenage girl writer that everyone should read.

3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - Okay, I admit, I am not a big classics fan and I hated Pride and Prejudice when I first read it. But I think it teaches us about how love can be and how you have to be a certain person to different people. Also, people have to read some classics right? This is one of the better ones in my opinion.

4. Speak by Laurie Halse Andersen - This, I think, teaches us what happens to people who have rumours about them, how it can spread out of control and how people assume things about certain people without evidence. I know all teens are affected with it once they go to secondary school/high school and really, it shouldn't happen. I know because I am a teen and it's happened to me in a similar situation to Melinda in Speak and it's not a nice thing to happen. In fact, it's awful and makes you hate yourself (Note: I was not raped by a jock like Melinda is, but the rumour thing has happened frequently)

5. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne - I think this book is so haunting. It shows what Nazi life was like through the eyes of an innocent young boy who loves his father or ultimately is keeping the Jews at bay. This really teaches us something I think about how we should know not to do things like the Nazis did. It just so inhumane.

6. The Diary of Anne Frank - I read this book when I was about 13 - the same age as Anne was when she started her diary. I had fallen out with my two best friends, the guy I was going out with liked one of these best friends and I had no-one really to turn to apart from my parents...which in this situation wasn't a comfort. I read this book and it kind of inspired me that she had a much worse life than I. Living her teenage years in a two storey annexe, it's not how you want to spend it. This is a true story and I think it should show teenagers how to live their life by enjoying every minute.

7. The Declaration series by Gemma Malley - This book is about how the thing that we should desire as human beings, can also become a down fall. They are also awesome books and so amazing. And the main characters are teenagers really. You never know, we might have to fight a kind of battle that's similar.

8. Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness - These are AMAZING. And I think some teens that aren't all that enthusiastic with reading will love reading after reading these (way too much use of the word reading there!). These are scary when you first pick them up, especially Monsters of Men but they are worth the weight to carry. They also highlight what war can do to people and what it is like to be in that kind of situation where you are on the fence and can't choose a side for a number of reasons as well as trying to save yourself, the people you love and those that need saving. It's tough for a teen to think and understand these kind of things and experiences but I think these books help give a kind of insight.

3 comments:

  1. Nothing can beat Harry Potter! Great list of books :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Pride and Prejudice, The Boy in the Stiped Pyjamas and Anne Frank's Diary on my list too! I totally agree with your reasons and the Decleration series is a great choice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    Yes, some classics should be on the reading list--else what is school for? =)

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*