Sunday, 9 October 2011

Now - Morris Gleitzman (#3)

*There may be SPOILERS for those who have not read Once or Then*

Now is the final book in this phenomenal trilogy. After reading Once and Then in quick succession, I didn't think Now would be easy to find as it's not the book in this series I see the most. So when I walked into my local library and found it SITTING ON THE FRONT DESK, I knew I should get it out to read. Which I did.
For all you Morris Gleitzman fans or fans of this series so far, this is very different to any of the other books in this series.

Synopsis: ONCE I didn't know about my grandfather Felix's scary childhood. THEN I found out what the Nazis did to his best friend Zelda. NOW I understand why Felix does the things he does. At least he's got me. My name is Zelda too. This is our story.
(From the blurb of the book)

Review: 
Okay, this is incredibly hard to write so this is going to just be a low-down really. 
When I first read the blurb of this book, I thought what Felix was 'doing' was fighting against the Nazis violently like we see him doing at the end of Then. Although, thinking back now, I realise that this is so unlike the Felix we have got to know over this trilogy.

Now is the last instalment in this series and also acts as a shocking reminder that the events we describe as disgusting and  morally wrong are still happening today and will be around for future generations. The event this book focuses on is the fires in the Australian outback in February 2009 as well as modern day bullying.

Gleitzman makes you feel so many emotions - fear, anger, joy, pity - it is a roller-coaster of a ride to read and could leave you feeling anything, depending on how you read it. This book for me wasn't up to the mark as it's predecessors' but it still had Gleitzman's excellent writing and wonderful characters, mostly new.
The story is told from twelve-year-old Zelda, the granddaughter of Felix, the young boy in the previous books. It is set in modern day Australia. Zelda was named in honour of Felix's best friend during the Holocaust when he was a similar age to his granddaughter. Her legend lives on through the generations in Felix's family and of course, the locket which is still present in this book.

Felix is the Felix I love - however, he is eighty years-old.  However, there are still traits of the wonderful Zelda who we know was killed in the previous book. We learn about what happened to Felix after Then although nothing is ever revealed about Zelda's grandmother which I thought a little weird. It may not be relevant  to this story but I would have liked to know about her.

As Morris Gleitzman writes at the end, you don't have to read this books in order although I would recommend it as you get a total feel for young Felix's journey.
The descriptions in this are far different the rest of the trilogy which I preferred. Zelda started off to annoy me and I wanted Felix's voice again, although she grew on me. The ending is the best I could possibly think of for this series and really highlights what life is about: surviving. I have learned so much from this series of books as they give you a high powered glimpse into this period of time that we wish humanity could forget. However, the horrible things that the Nazis did so mercilessly to Jewish people is still rife today. The bullying described by Zelda that she experiences, and some I have experienced myself, is still harsh and disgusting. Although, bullying in this sense is not as bad as what the Nazis horrifically did to the Jews, the book shows that bullying is strong in all past, present and certainly future. Perhaps it is a humane thing to do.

This book I know will always stay with me in the future and although Felix is not a true character, those that were very much like him and risking their lives at such an age will always be heroes to us.
Verdict: This has been an amazing series. If you haven't read it yet, don't fret, start with Once and prepare a box of tissues.

I give it a 4 out of 5

Review for Once
Review for Then
Review for After

Author's Website: http://www.morrisgleitzman.com/
Pages: 167
Publisher: Puffin from Penguin
Challenges: BBC

8 comments:

  1. Rebecca, I love your blog and I will add you to my blogosphere list. Greetings from http://colorful-balloons.blogspot.com/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The correct form: I ''added'' you:) Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thank you very much. I'll have a look around yours too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I love so many books in so small place:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read once and then but I really don't know where to find now. I live in Singapore, and I want to read it sooooooooo badly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, this series is published first in England where I live, so I have easy access to this series. However, as I know from books that I want to read coming out in America, that books being published in other countries (apart from the author's own) takes time. There are a dozen books I want to read that are old in the US but haven't even come out yet here.
    If the other books have been published in Singapore, Now should too. It only came out last year here so it's still a relatively new book - it should be arriving in book shops in the next year or so. If you want to know what happens, email me.
    Hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A kind of prequel (set after Then, but released after Now) is out now, and it's called After. I saw it in Waterstone's yesterday and I was so excited. I'm going to order it (it's cheaper) and I would love for you to read it and to hear your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you! I actually work part-time in a Waterstones and today, I saw After too (it actually doesn't come out officially for another couple of days, shh!).
      I'll try and get my hands on a copy - it's definitely on my to-read list. Thank you so much - that's so lovely to hear! :)

      Delete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*