Tuesday, 11 October 2011

The Braces are off.

On the 11th June 2008, I got fitted for braces. I was a tall thirteen year-old approaching Year 9 - the BIG year of SATS and GCSE options - and having already gone a semi-serious operation in the April where I had been put to sleep and couldn't even talk for 3 days.
I've never been too fussed about them since. While my friends hide them away, I just got on with life regardless of my braces. Because of this, I think the majority of my friends and family cannot imagine me without them, especially newer friends. 
I was forecasted to have braces for 2 and a half years. That turned into 32 months, then soon approaching 3 years. It seemed like they would never go, I would live with them forever.
Until a couple of months ago in a passing comment to my orthodontist, I mentioned I hated them by now and just wanted them off. Before I knew it she was going into a long spiel that I should contact my dentist, do this, go book an appointment. It looked like I was finally having them gone.

This morning I woke up earlier than I should have gone.  The idea for the last two months seemed unreal that I, Rebecca, would be getting her braces off. It still now feels like a dream that I'm going to wake up and poof. They're back.
So I got ready, had breakfast, brushed my teeth, got into the car and drove to the orthodontists with my mother. Suddenly, I was in the chair. Suddenly, I was being asked to open my mouth, close it, bite together, open again. Suddenly, there was clipping somewhere rather close, a little pulling and then. Oh.

The thing I have been wanting so desperately for months, happened without me realising. I had my braces off. FINALLY.

The next part of the more hideous of the whole experience: cleaning my teeth and getting the glue off with numerous spinny tools that weren't too pleasant at all.
Anyway, around 20 minutes later, I was done.
The nurse handed me a tissue and glass of water and a mirror. I look at myself in the mirror first.

I have blood and moulding (for the retainer) smouldered around my mouth, mascara smudged under my eyes and let's just say, it was not the most attractive moment of my life. But then I opened my mouth and smiled. AND I LOOKED SO DIFFERENT. I hardly recognised myself, I feel like a new me.

For those who have braces or getting them soon, go through the pain, just live with it. When you do finally get them off, it will be the best day of your life so far.


(That is not food in my braces, it was just the light - honestly!)

8 comments:

  1. I know personally too how brilliant getting your braces off can be! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! :-) I remember getting mine off (way too long ago). It's an excellent feeling. And what a lovely smile! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! You're teeth are beautiful! :)

    I am lucky enough to have naturally very straight teeth, so I won't get to experience braces :P

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, in relation to Pottermore ... I got early access but it will open to everyone else in a few weeks (I'm not sure the date) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you guys! It is a great feeling for them to be off although retainers also aren't that great either.

    Amy: Urgh, my friend is the same, it's annoying for bracers like me. Okay, thanks, just wasn't sure because I might join it. It sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s been years since you took your braces off. How are your teeth now? Based on the pictures, I must say that your teeth look quite nice after it was taken off. It looks more aligned and healthy. Just be sure to continue your dental maintenance to make sure that your teeth stay perfect and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that you were so happy as you finally had your braces off. It took you three years! Wow, it was really a long process. You sacrificed a lot, especially with the food. And you also felt some pain and discomfort throughout this journey. But we don’t have to think about that anymore, as you really enjoy your life right now for sure. You have a beautiful set of teeth, Rebecca!

    Weston Wadlington @ Peak Family Dentistry

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*