Tuesday, 24 May 2011

Tuesday Top Ten: Those Books that you Lied about (#9)

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and The Bookish

*NOTE*: I shall be doing between 5-7 instead of 10 over the exam period (May-July) because they may look easy but these memes are actually quite hard to think about and remember. Also, with the other things happening in my life at the moment (yes I have one full of revision constantly), I simply won't have the time. But I love doing these so they are happening still, just reduced.

This week's theme is Books that you Lied about either you lied about reading, you lied about NOT reading, you lied about liking/disliking...Admit the truth!


1. Introducing Scarlett Lee by Rose Impey - Okay, so I have yet to read this book WHICH I have been pineing to read for YEARS as Rose Impey wrote 'The Sleepover Club' books which were both my favourite books and TV programmes (two of the actors were in Neighbours - Rosie and Frankie). So a friend at my Stagecoach was reading this one and I envied her and she asked me if I had read it and in some weird jealousy mood, I told her I had and we started having a conversation about it - well more her saying 'Oh I love this character' and me nodding and saying 'Oh yeah I do too! She's great' in mock enthusiasm. Well...Stagecoach does include acting :)

2. Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin - Sorry guys but I wasn't a big fan of this when I first read it. However, the whole world was so this is Type 3 case in that I pretended I loved it and even went as far as to buy the book (which I still have, unread) because it was on offer and to show anyone that came round that I liked it...I was SUCH a sad kid.

3. What I Was by Meg Rosoff - So this was my first and last Meg Rosoff book. I just don't like her books at all. And I know I'm not the only one in this elite club. As well as there is an elite club of people who DO like her. However, about 4 years ago, I read this book...and was...disappointed? No...I just didn't get it and skipped to the end.
Anyway, this is Type 1 - pretending I hadn't read it. My friend was talking about books to me, the only bookish person at the time and started ranting on about how she HATED her books after reading How I Live Now (which I've heard mixed reviews) and said these words: 'If I find out you read one of her books, I will personally not talk to you'. I had happened to have just ended my period of reading this not fantastic book. To her, I still haven't.

4. Wildthorn by Jane Eagland - A lot of people love this book but when I read it, when it first came out after I was attracted to the cover, I really didn't like it. But because a lot of other bloggers, friends, bookish people I knew raved about it, I had to pretend I liked it as much as I said. I thought there were parts that were good but I don't think it deserved all the hype people gave it when it did come out and was so popular.

5. Lady Grace Mysteries  - I love this series, even though they aren't so good anymore and they are very simply written. Although, some people beg to differ and so this suffered by being denounced by countless of people while I, faithfully, stuck by it and enjoyed it secretly.

6. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - I didn't understand this book on first read but according to my friends who had read it and enjoyed it on first read, they beg to differ on this opinion. It wasn't until I watched the Keira Knightley movie and studied it in class that I became a fan of it...and then the Jane Austen/Elizabeth Bennet fiction came along... 

6 comments:

  1. I couldn't find books about which I have lied....

    Here is my Top Ten post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't lie. It certainly made for a difficult post this week. I really had nothing to say!

    Hope you'll stop by my blog: Readerbuzz. Not much there this week, but maybe, if you browse a bit, you will find something else of interest. And I do have a great giveaway going on....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've hit on the reason that book clubs are popular. Often we don't"get" books until we have a chance to talk about them with other people who read that same book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good, you're better people than I am then!
    I do it because some people at my school think the books I read are stupid and even if they knew I had a book blog, they would think I was a sad sad geeky kid. Which I don't care but it saves me from being taunted at.
    A lot of people have said it's difficult this week.

    Deb: haha it's okay, yeah sure I'll have a look.Ooo giveaway...

    Anne: oh thank you? I know there have been books that I completely didn't finish until I've read book reviews on them and tried them again so see what the fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. +JMJ+

    I really loved Pride and Prejudice when I first read it . . . but that first read was a comic book version. =P I've never admitted that until now. LOL! (The actual novel? It isn't my favourite Austen, but it will do!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I didn't understand it because it's in 'old language' and to me, Austen rambles on a bit at points and then I switch off or skip a couple of pages for some action.
    Second time was better after knowing the full story.

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*