Friday, 15 March 2013

Music From My Childhood

I wasn't planning on posting anything today but this morning, while looking over the newest posts from my favourite blogs, I saw Clover from Fluttering Butterflies' post inspired from reading The Future Of Us by Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler (my review). I've read it myself, and although I can only remember the latter 90's, the way Emma and Josh are so oblivious to what things like social media or even a computer are is something I grew up feeling until only recently really.

Clover focused on the music from the year the novel is set in: 1996. However, in 1996, I was 1 years-old so as you would expect, I can't remember what music was around then. It's only really until about 2000/2001 that I can remember things like films or TV shows or music, when I was about 5/6. Weird the things you can and can't remember, isn't it?

Tragedy - Steps (1998)

Oh my, who doesn't remember Steps in the UK? In my younger years, I was OBSESSED with Steps, they literally were my favourite band. I'm not sure why I liked them so much.
Steps hold a few memories for me. One of my oldest friends bonded with me as a 5 year-old because we both wanted to be Lisa in a dress-up game in pre-school. Steps was also my first concert, which I went to at Wembley, when I was about 7 or 8. Unfortunately, they broke up two weeks after I saw them live. Tragedy is one of the earliest songs I remember well, and also one of the first songs where I learnt ALL the dance moves. Yes, I was that cool a kid.

Don't Stop Movin' - S Club 7 (2001)

S Club was essentially another version of Steps. Although this band had its own TV show, a movie - ah, lots of my friends remember watching the TV shows on CBBC. One episode I do remember was where one of the band members were in trouble and they had to go to this club in Spain to sort it all out and ended up performing there and then it became the video for Don't Stop Movin' (which became my favourite song of theirs and I made my own dance movies to it). I think I still have an S Club t-shirt somewhere...

Year 3000 - Busted (2003)

Ah, Busted were definitely my first boy-band crushes, although I disliked them by the time they broke up. I'm not sure why I liked them so much, perhaps because I was older, a bit more rebellous and they were rocky-punky-pop. Recently, I was being nostalgic with some friends over a game of Singstar and we chose this song. I haven't sung to the words in, oh, 8 years or so but we ALL knew the words without the lyrics being shown.


I quite enjoyed being a bit nostalgic actually, I've just put on a Steps song I found on iTunes - I still like this band. I may continue this with books, films and TV shows from my childhood - let me know if you would like that! Have a lovely weekend :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm a few years older than you, but those bands made up my early teens. I was the biggest S Club 7 fan EVER. I also loved Westlife, Boyzone, Atomic Kitten and B*witched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I remember them! I had an Atomic Kitten phase as well when I was about 8.

      Delete
  2. I was born in 1997, but I can remember all of those songs! I used to be obsessed with Busted when I was little, and I remember making up spoof lyrics of Tragedy with my friend, hehe. ;) Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*