Monday, 4 March 2013

Judge a Book By Its Cover

Covers are something I don't think most of us realise are that important. But it is sometimes the cover that makes you judge a book, be it negatively or positively. They are sometimes featuring people, an illustration or sometimes the most effective are just plain. Sometimes simplicity pays.
Some of my favourite covers have included (links to image of cover) the US version of The Forsaken by Lisa M Stasse, The Luxe by Anna Godbersen and all the UK versions of Sarah Dessen's novels - they are divine. Here are some different covers I pulled out of the YA book world to compare.

ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS BY STEPHANIE PERKINS



The left cover is the original cover with the right being the new covers that Stephanie Perkins announced last week. I have to admit...I hated the original cover. The creepy smile of the girl and the awkward black scarf (is it just me or does it kind of NOT fit?) and then the casual creepy hand reaching across...it didn't scream READ ME. However, I love the new covers - they're pretty, appealing and I think look much more sophisticated than the original. I'm glad they kept the Eiffel Tower on there! (My review)

Verdict: NEW COVER


THE TRUTH ABOUT FOREVER BY SARAH DESSEN



The left cover is the UK cover while the right cover is the newer US edition of this book. I love this book a lot, it's my favourite of Sarah Dessen's writing so I KNOW this book inside out because of the amount of times I've read it. The US cover is interesting and I think definitely better than the original US covers. I like the colours and the simplicity of it, it shows the book well in a sophisticated matter. My only problem is the significance of the bracelet. There is no bracelet in the story so it seems a little weird to have that on the cover - although the wishbone IS relevant to the story.
The UK cover is pretty and I love that the rest of Sarah Dessen's book match. It's interesting to look at and you get a feeling for some of the issues and themes explored in the story from the images inside the heart.

Verdict: UK COVER.


DELIRIUM BY LAUREN OLIVER


The left is the current UK cover (which I believe is being changed soon to incorporate the different covers for Pandemonium and Requiem) while the right is the US cover. Well, well. I don't really know what to think about these covers because neither are particularly spectacular in my eyes. I have a thing about book covers having models staring straight at you on the cover, it's a bit scary or off-putting sometimes. I like the colours for the right US cover, the mixture of blue and green that go well with the nature in the novel (from what I can remember). I dislike the UK one a lot, with the girl I think looking waaay too young to be Lena. The US cover model I can totally see as Lena. (My Review for Delirium) (My Review for Before I Fall)

Verdict: US COVER


THE OTHER COUNTESS BY EVE EDWARDS



The left cover is the US edition and the right cover is the original UK cover when this series was first released. It was then changed to match the other two books in the series (have a look here). What I liked about the UK cover was the plain indication that this was set in Tudor times because of the dress. I also liked that the model was exactly as I imagined Ellie to be like - it just looked like a historical novel to me. The US cover I guess does too but the dress is a little less obvious to show that. I like the sophisticated look of the US cover in the lettering - it's just really the pose of the model that annoys me showing both plainly this is a romance novel but also showing Ellie as a little...I don't know, submissive? If this makes any sense, I think the UK cover makes her look a little bit more independent and stronger - yes, it seems the feminist is coming out of me. My only thing is that the UK cover LOOKS like a typical YA novel when the US cover could be mistaken for adult - which I like. (My Review)

Verdict: Not sure...


What do you think about these covers? Which one do you prefer? What are your thoughts in general about covers? 

6 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you that covers are important! Most of the time, they are a way to attract a person in a bookshop/library to pick up the book. Even though I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, don't we all? :3

    I agree with all your choices! I really don't like the original Anna and the French Kiss cover, I didn't realise that there is a new cover though! Maybe when I finally get a copy of it, I'll get that copy ;)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, books are always important by covers. I should know with my blog :P This is a brilliant post Rebecca. Though I have to say I had a completely different cover for Delirium when I got it from my library. And it was much better than the UK cover, you have there! I love the new covers of the Sarah Dessen books. They are beautifully designed!

    Though I have read a couple of books, with horrible covers that doesn't suit the book and they have turned out to be brilliant books! So I'm a little inbetween but leaning to Never because of my blog! :P

    Great Post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no I agree! I've read some really deep, psychological thrillers that have bright, colourful covers that you wouldn't think would be like that at all.
      I think that covers do influence people's choices without people even meaning to but really it should be the blurb that decides whether you read the book or not, not the cover. I wish the covers were still like the old Penguin editions - then every book would look the same.

      Delete
  3. I agree with all of your choices and I love the new Anna and The French Kiss cover. I haven't read it and everybody loves it so I will have to give it a go and I most definatley prefer the new cover. I don't like the uk cover of Delirium though. Thanks for sharing :)

    - Sunny @ www.asupersunnyspot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but I think it's safe to say that most will. We're also told not to judge by appearance but on some level, we all do. What's important is that you don't let that initial irrational judgement colour any further views you form. I think the same goes for book covers. React to the cover by all means, but don't let it prevent you from reading the blurb.

    I may well be stating the obvious here, but a cover's importance has a time limit on it. It has to hook you but as soon as that's done, as soon as you begin enjoying a book and decide that it's one you want to read again and again, you'll probably never notice the cover. It's done its job. Strangely, the only cover I can call to mind is the original UK one for The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. It was just plain blue stripes so that the reader didn't know what the book was about before opening it. A risky choice, but it worked and it's the only cover I'm likely to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but I think it's safe to say that most will. We're also told not to judge by appearance but on some level, we all do. What's important is that you don't let that initial irrational judgement colour any further views you form. I think the same goes for book covers. React to the cover by all means, but don't let it prevent you from reading the blurb.

    I may well be stating the obvious here, but a cover's importance has a time limit on it. It has to hook you but as soon as that's done, as soon as you begin enjoying a book and decide that it's one you want to read again and again, you'll probably never notice the cover. It's done its job. Strangely, the only cover I can call to mind is the original UK one for The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. It was just plain blue stripes so that the reader didn't know what the book was about before opening it. A risky choice, but it worked and it's the only cover I'm likely to remember.

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*