Monday, 18 February 2013

On My Bookshelf (34) - BIRTHDAY EDITION

This meme for originally inspired by 'In My Mailbox' created by The Story Siren
Other versions are:
Letterbox Love created by Narratively Speaking
Stacking the Shelves created by Tynga's reviews
Showcase Sunday created by Books, Biscuits and Tea

I haven't done one of these for about a month now so I've collected a lot of books! That was a conscious decision as a week ago it was...MY EIGHTEENTH BIRTHDAY. Yes, I am officially an adult that can vote, drink and who knows what else. It's great to finally not be classed as a child anymore and although I don't feel any older being that age, I think it was because I was ready way before my birthday to be 18. It's weird thinking about that really.
Anyway, I had a lovely day involving lots of cake, wine and just consuming food and drink for most of the day. I hadn't really asked for anything specific but had subconsciously put a list up in my room of the books on my wishlist - let's just say I think my mother must have noticed it (for the record, I didn't put it up as a hint, literally did it for myself). So behold, I was gifted with mostly books...not that I mind AT ALL.


Gifted:

- The Lucky Ones by Anna Godbersen - When I heard in October last year about the release of the final book in the Bright Young Things trilogy, I knew it would be a book I would definitely buy. Anna Godbersen is an author that I instantly know I will enjoy and I have loved the last two books in the series, Bright Young Things (my review) and Beautiful Days (my review) as well as her previous quartet named The Luxe. I was a little bit confused that they decided to publish this book in hardback rather than straight to paperback like the others in the series. But I wanted this book too much to have to wait until July for the paperback...

- Meant To Be by Lauren Morrill - I wanted this book the instant I read the blurb online. Since then, I've seen a number of reviews for this that praise it over and over again for the sweetness of the characters. I was so surprised when I opened up my present to find this because at the moment it's only published in America. Ah so excited to read this and 'aww' over all the characters. 

- Cinder by Marissa Meyer - I read this last year and Meyer soon became one of my favourite authors as well as Cinder being one of the best books I read in 2012. I got the copy I read out of the library so for a book I loved so much, I wanted a copy of it to pass around my friends spreading the love.  (My Review)

- Scarlet by Marissa Meyer - If you read my comment on Cinder, it should be unsurprising that Scarlet appeared on my wishlist as well. Scarlet is the next one in The Lunar Chronicles and a book I have been anticipating for so, so long. My mother even expressed her interest in this one because of the cover!

- Just One Day by Gayle Forman - OH MY. Gayle Forman is one of these authors that takes your heart, twists and tears it a little, replaces it and then waits until the end of her novel to break it all over again. Seriously, If I Stay (my review) and Where She Went (my review) have one of the best love stories. I was going to buy a copy of this after my birthday and gladly I waited! Just One Day is set in Paris I believe, which I visited in December so looking forward to seeing what places Forman mentioned!

- Paper Towns by John Green - When one of my best friends, Emma, asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I told her the typical, 'You don't have to get anything', 'I don't know what I want', 'Whatever you get I'll like'. But it did struck me when we were fangirling discussing the John Green event that although Paper Towns in my second favourite John Green books, I don't actually own a copy of it. So after a casual hint 'Paper Towns is missing on my shelf' and the fake-surprised expression when I opened her present, I rectified that. (My Review of Paper Towns)


Quotes Bookmarks - This is where the banner proclaiming 'I love my friends!' comes in. This was one of the last presents I opened yet something I will remember. I had already been given a handmade music box and a beautiful photo album so I didn't know what else could beat that! This was from my friend Emma, who I have mentioned before on the blog, a lovely person who I befriended in my English Literature class last year over our mutual love for books, The Great Gatsby and working in Waterstones. 
These are bookmarks. But not any bookmarks. These have quotes on them that Emma uniquely chose that all mean something to me. There are quotes from The Fault in Our Stars, the book I first spoke to her about, and Dash and Lily's Book of Dares, the first book of hers I borrowed. They mean something and it is one of the best presents I have ever received. She is made of amazingness. 

Bought:

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - At the John Green event I attended at the beginning of the month, I was given a free book as part of my entry ticket already signed by John and Hank Green which is just...ah! This book I would recommend to anyone, seriously (here's my review). I kind of over-recommend it at work sometimes, like 'THIS IS AN AMAZING BOOK. YOU NEED TO BUY IT'. Yes, I can be a crazy bookseller sometimes. If you didn't see my post on the event, have a lookie here 


Library:

- Bringing the Summer by Julia Green - I read Drawing With Light (my review) by this author a few years ago and quite enjoyed it. I've seen a few reviews for this around and spotted it at the library a couple of times before. I love the cover, it screams summer to me so hopefully this book will make me look forward to the summer more. 

- The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin - I think I'm heavily influenced by the reviews I see on the blogosphere because I merely picked this up in the new found 'Young Adult' section of my local library because I've heard only good things about it. It looks rather haunting from the cover, but I'm interested to see how much.


Swag:


FINALLY. I also received these from author, Sarah Crossan, author of dystopian, Breathe (my review)- a book I enjoyed incredibly. She asked if any UK bloggers wanted these on Twitter, so of course, I jumped at the offer. I didn't realise that they would be sent from America though! So thank you so much Sarah Crossan for these, I'm already using them. 



And done. Have you read any of these books? What did you think of them? Let me know in the comments section below!


5 comments:

  1. Wow, so many amazing books! :O As you know, I have a signed copy of The Fault in Our Stars too, ahhh! :D I really want to read Paper Towns though.
    Just One Day, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, Cinder and Meant to Be look fantastic.
    The quote bookmarks and swag are awesome! Lucky you! :)
    I'm glad you had a great birthday. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many amazing books! And happy belated birthday! I hope you had a fantastic day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some amazing books, Rebecca! I bought Paper Towns the other day and am really looking forward to reading it.
    The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is a really good read and so spooky! I'm really looking forward to your review.
    The Breathe postcards are so pretty and I also didn't expect for them to be sent such a long way.
    I'm so jealous of your signed TFiOS! It's just so pretty!
    And Insurgent! You have to read it soon! I shall be virtually poking you until you do...
    Cinder is on my TBR pile and so I must come to it soon. Meant to Be has such a lovely cover and sounds really good.

    Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started reading The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - so creepy so far, I can see what you mean!
      Don't worry Insurgent has already been read by now...still processing what happened in it - erm, wow!
      CINDER IS LIKE SO GOOD. SO SO GOOD.

      Delete
  4. Ahh I am so jealous, you got so many fabulous books. That I still need to read. Happy Reading

    - Sunny @ www.asupersunnyspot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*