Sunday, 3 February 2013

My Blogging Resolutions 2013

I'm a firm believer in starting your resolutions, if you're going to have any, in February. I mean everyone is normally still celebrating Christmas with minor family in January so FOOD and DRINK. If you're going to reduce your alcohol or food intake, THAT'S out the window. And everyone is stressed and down about Christmas and New Year being over so, February is really when the year gets going (and also my birthday!).

I asked you (yes, you too!) to fill in a short questionnaire about what you thought about Rebecca-Books in 2012 and what could be improved on. I have a phenomenal response with largely lovely comments that literally, brightened up MY January.
Here are the results, just in, and what I'll be trying to improve on this year!


Question 1: Do you enjoy the reviews?
100% said yes, phew. With one response saying the person devoured my reviews. I hope not literally.


Question 2: What do you like about my reviews?
'They're informative, detailed and interesting'
'They don't give away plot twists, which means that we have to read the books to find out why you have certain feelings about things which you haven't mentioned'
'I love that they're detailed and I wish I could write ones as good as yours!'
'The detail of them supplies enough information for me to decide whether to read the book or not'

Okay, first I love these people above (it was anonymous by the way so I actually don't know who said this) and I am so happy the people find my reviews interesting and helpful. I do try not to give to much away and I do feel bad sometimes about how vague I can be because of that, so this is good to know people like that!



Question 3: What could be improved in my reviews?

'You sometimes verbally criticise books, but then your score for the book tends to be very good. I don't think that matches up very well'
'More concise reviews?'
'More of them!'

From what I can gather, this is basically what my English teacher says about my essays that I write too much and over-analyse things so I'm not surprised. I will be trying to write better, more concise reviews that are true to what I think about them (I feel bad when I give a 2...). And on the subject of more of them, I know I don't have a review published every single week but I'm an incredibly slow reader and try to write the reviews as well as I can.



Question 4: What are your thoughts on the style of language used in my reviews?

'It's informal, which I like, and well written'
'Your reviews have become far more sophisticated in vocabulary.'
'It's easy to read. You don't overuse certain words, which is good.'
'It is clear to understand but not boring. You create a welcoming feel to the blog which makes me want to read on'

Sometimes I think I just babble on and on incoherently but apparently not. I'm very happy someone noticed the change in vocabulary, that I feel is a definite improvement as that was one of my resolutions last year!


Question 5: What type of posts do you prefer?

The general consensus was that most of the people who completed the survey preferred reviews, book hauls or discussions with less liking updates about my life outside blogging. Go figure, really because I was a tad worried that people wanted more posts about non-blogger me, which to be honest, there is not a lot to say. If you do want some more of that though, then I suggest you follow me on Twitter because well, I rant to my hearts content about my days.
I will try to do more discussions though, it's just thinking of topics really!


Question 6: What type of posts would you like to see more of on Rebecca-Books in 2013?

'It would be great if you went out into the world doing book-ish things (book signings etc) and told us about it. Also good is comparing books and movies, like you did for Pride and Prejudice'
'Discussions! I love your discussions!'
'More classics'

I have seen a lot of book adaptations like Les Miserables, War Horse and The Hunger Games in the last year and I have been meaning to do some comparisons with the books but just haven't got round to it or weren't sure what to say but thank you the person who wrote that because I wondered if people liked that!
Yep, discussions will be present this year....And on the subject of classics, I have read quite a few classics for my English Literature course in 2012 - Frankenstein, The Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby - but I just felt that it wasn't something I could either review or that would appeal to people who read my blog. But I may do a mini-review post of some of my favourite classics. Watch this space...


Question 7: What are your thoughts on the blog in general?
'I really like the layout; it's very organised and neat. Your blog is interesting and we similar interests in books so I get lots of recommendations. I also like that you have 'currently reading' and popular posts in the sidebar'
'It's great, you've come a long way.'
'I LOVE IT! Definitely one of my favourites!'
'Your blog is great, I really enjoy reading it. Your voice of your posts is friendly and your reviews are amazing!'
'I like that you do a variety of stuff that is suitable for adults and YA'

Well, I don't think I can say much more than that. I'm utterly shocked at how much people enjoy my blog, it really amazes me sometimes and I agree that I have come quite a long way from the sad little 14 year-old who geeked out to herself about books. I LOVE THE PEOPLE WHO COMPLETED THIS SURVEY, SO MUCH LOVE BEING THROWN AT YOU RIGHT NOW.


Question 8: What do you think about the look of Rebecca-Books?
'It's neat, simple and not too busy which I like and the sidebar is informative'
'It's very easy to navigate, I like that. The colours also go together well.'
'I love its minimalistic look!'
'There is not much crammed onto the sidebar which is good as it is quick for the page to load.'

This is all good to know because I know that my layout is quite boring and uncreative in a way, someone actually described it as dull once (true fact...) so this is lovely to hear and I know I don't have to change it!


Question 9: What genres do you normally enjoy?
Popular genres were YA (of course!), Chick Lit, Dystopian and Historical Fiction which is cool because I love those genres too. Just so glad no-one put supernatural really...


Question 10: What book are you most looking forward to in 2013?
Erm, NEARLY EVERYONE PUT BOOK 3 IN THE DIVERGENT SERIES. So I think I better start on the first book...
(On a side note, do you know what it means by 'new GOT' because I did not...)



So as a review, these are my blogging resolutions for 2013!

1. I will try to write reviews in a concise, non-ranty and easy to understand way

2. I will make sure the ratings I give to books truly reflect how I felt about the book and state why I gave it that rating.

3. I will try to post more discussions!

4. I will try to do some more posts on book adaptations and how they match up to the original book.

5. I will try to *finally* read the Divergent series this year

6. I will keep up the standard of the blog this year (which as a warning is going to be hard with *incredibly* important exams this year and then moving away to university. You'll hear about it, don't worry).


So that wraps up this post, I hope you liked the way I did this. Let me know what you think of the resolutions or any of the questions I asked in the survey. And THANK YOU to those that filled it in, I truly appreciate it. Have a nice week!

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I think you can tell which answers were mine! Even I can tell and it was a month ago! Yay for discussions! You MUST start Divergent! Such amazing books! I will be virtually poking you until you pick them up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your new resolutions! :)

    Also, I finished reading The Truth About Forever this morning ... and I LOVED IT. Thank you so much for the recommendation, I cannot wait to read more Sarah Dessen. Macy annoyed me a little, but Wes is the perfect guy!

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*