Tuesday, 11 December 2012

Tuesday Top Ten: Authors I discovered in 2012

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and The Bookish. 

I haven't done one of these for a while but after seeing the topic, it seemed quite simple and a nice way to reflect over my reading throughout the year. Also I had some time to kill with a Blogger app on my phone and in traffic coming home from college. Always helps.

1. David Levithan - Sure I'd heard of this man and of how great his writing was, especially the references to being like John Green. However I only discovered his books this year reading Dash and Lily's Book of Dares (co-written with Rachel Cohn), The Lover's Dictionary and Will Grayson, Will Grayson (co-written with the wonderful John Green). I love his writing - it's quirky and really is a voice of teenagers.
In 2013, I'm looking forward to reading Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist.

2. Marissa Meyer - I absolutely loved so so much Meyer's novel Cinder - retelling of Cinderella. And the ideas for the rest of the series sound so so good. Can't wait to see what she publishes in 2013
In 2013, I'm looking forward to reading Scarlet (on my Christmas list...)

3. Lauren Oliver - I'd been aware of the presence of Oliver on the blogosphere and how much many people loved her writing. However, it wasn't until I stumbled upon Delirium in the library and became intrigued by her stand-alone novel, Before I Fall that made me finally see what the fuss was about.
In 2013, I'm looking forward to reading Pandemonium, the sequel to Delirium.

4. Jennifer. E. Smith - I started reading The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight both a little cynical and desperate for some romance. And I got it - not the perfect book for me but I still enjoyed this lovely whimsical book that oh, take me travelling?

5. Daphne Du Maurier - I read Rebecca because a) you know my name right? and b) I needed to read a Gothic text for a summer assignment for English Lit and this is classed as a modern Gothic Literature text. I was expecting something not so good, a little boring, hard to understand but I was so surprised when I finished Rebecca. It's a beautiful, slightly haunting book that harks back to an era that I wish I could have lived in. And the suspense! Oh my, read it!

6. Erin Morgenstern - The Night Circus is one of the most loveliest and whimsical books I have ever read that left me speechless of the amazingness of this novel. I was blown away, seriously, by the writing, the settings and just the magic that springs of the paper as you read. Morgenstern, write some more books like this!




3 comments:

  1. I have seen Marissa Meyer on a number of lists, including mine! I just read Dash and Lily for the first time over Thanksgiving and think it's my new Christmas book. Loved it! Here are my new discoveries http://wp.me/pzUn5-1kt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to start reading The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight soon, I've heard so many good things about it! My TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.wordpress.com/2012/12/10/top-ten-favorite-new-to-me-authors-i-read-in-2012/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have The Lover's Dictionary on my Christmas list. I have to admit initially being sucked in by the cover!

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*