Monday, 31 December 2012

Favourite Books of 2012

I've done this for the last two Christmasses (2010, 2011)so I guess it's become a bit of a 'Rebecca-Books Christmas tradition' now. As many followers may have noticed, I add the name of my favourite book every month on the Books of 2012 page as I have for the last two years. Anyway, this list is basically a congregation of the books I absolutely loved this year for any reason at all be it my surprise at enjoying a book THAT much or just the sheer amazingness of said book. Whatever the reason, here's the twelve best books that I have read this year.

ALSO, while I've got people's attention, I would like to thank some bloggers for being so so lovely over the last year who have helped in a few ways. It's really lovely to know I have people that both read my blog and care about what I think. It's just a nice feeling to be part of the blogging community. So, thank you to Amy, Nessie, Lucy, Ria, Clover, Emma (and anyone else I forgot, you know who you are!) and the author, Marie-Louise Jensen who I was able to complain of college work and university choices to.  Thank You.

VIII - H.M.Castor
There are not many times when a book is THAT good that I am lost for words. There are also infrequent times when a book is so gripping you have to resist the urge to carry on reading in order to go about your daily life.
This book has both of those things. I was stuck in bed for a day with sickness at the beginning of January 2012 with the only accompany being this book that I had just started. Oh my. My eyes were so sore from reading, my back ached from being in bed yet I just couldn't stop reading. This is the most gripping historical fiction book I have ever read with so much detail about a period of history I absolutely love: the Tudors. I shall be re-reading this in 2013 in preparation for my History exam on guess what - Henry VIII!

Review  |  Goodreads





Dash and Lily's Book of Dares - Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
 I waited so long to get a copy of this (thank you to my friend Emma for finally providing a copy!) and this did not disappoint. This is something completely different to any other book I have read - it is kooky, quirky, hilarious, cynical, lovely and sad in a variety of ways with some of the best characters.
This really romanises the idea of reading and books I think, so many 'Kiss already!' moments that have you with a huge goofy smile plastered on your face. Ah, I want to go to the Strand Bookstore in New York now!

Review  |  Goodreads









Cinder - Marissa Meyer
I don't think I was expecting much when I first started reading this book. A cyborg in a book based on the fairytale of Cinderella? That wouldn't work was what I had decided before reading it.
Yet, I actually really loved this book and was so surprised! I think a lot of people, like me, would look at this book and discount it straight away, judgingly but I felt it was done so well.
The novel is full to the brim with tension, drama and the lovely cynical Cinder. It doesn't feel like an adaptation of Cinderella as you read it but a whole different unique story.
I've already got Scarlet on my Christmas list, so looking forward to reading the next in the series!

Review  |  Goodreads






The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
I don't think there is much I can say that hasn't already been said about this fabulous book. I liked John Green's writing on a 'Oh I like his books but I'm not like head over heels for his books' level.
A girl was sitting in my English class this time last year reading this, I saw it and asked her about it with which she replied with a long rant about how great John Green was and how great this book was and that I must read it.
Fast forward 3 months and I did. OH MY. I CAN SEE HER EXCITEMENT. This is a book that means a lot to me in a few different ways, one of which is that it had the power to help me make friends with at least 3 people. It makes me want to share this book with ANYONE.

Review  |  Goodreads





Uglies - Scott Westerfeld
I've said it before. This series wins the prize for 'I Can't Believe I Hadn't Read This Until Now' - I mean, they have everything I like in books, Scott Westerfeld is a great writer and I've been pondering over these books for years.
There are two things that stuck with me once reading the first book in this series. One, that I totally understood Tally's problem of trying to convert herself to a certain someone. It is something I think most teenagers can resonate with.
Two, the world that Westerfeld creates is very vivid and all together quite scary to how similar some aspects are today. So glad I finally read this series this year.

Review  |  Goodreads







Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
I think anyone with a book/movie that shares the same name as them would be curious. That is exactly why I read this book, as well as part of an assignment for English to read a Gothic literature text OTHER than Frankenstein (FYI, this is classed as a 'Modern Gothic Text').
So there was my excuse. I really didn't think I was going to like this but I was pleasantly surprised. This book is full to the brim of suspense, mystery and deceit - it's clear why Alfred Hitchcock chose to adapt this movie into a film under his name. I don't normally review books I read for college or classics in general as this is a YA blog but I liked this book waaay too much not to.
This book is 74 years-old. Yet I think anyone, whatever age, can still enjoy it.

Review  |  Goodreads





What Happened to Goodbye - Sarah Dessen
I'm a Sarah Dessen fan, and have been for a number of years now. So I HAVE to have a Sarah Dessen book on here right?!
I tried to write a decent review for this but I think most bloggers would agree, when you like an author too much, the review isn't always one of your best.
For me, this will never beat the likes of Just Listen or The Truth About Forever but this latest offering comes pretty close.
Before I gush about my love for Sarah Dessen and her books, I'll leave you with one of the lines I wrote in my review which I hope sums this lovely writer up: There is just something extraordinary about Sarah Dessen's writing. Something absolutely magical and compelling that creates something that you devour.

Review  |  Goodreads






The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
This book wins the award for 'I Can't Believe I Liked This Book'.
In truth, I never intended to read this, the hardback sitting on my desk for months after my friend shoved it into my hands demanding it be read. Adult Fiction never really truly does it for mostly and the vague blurb left me less excited.
I'm not sure what made me pick this up eventually but something nagged me telling me I should read it. And I did.
OH MY. Some books are just lovely to read, the humour may be great, the romance too cute for words or a roller-coaster of emotions makes you feel so in awe by the end. With this, the writing and language is what sticks with everyone I have spoken about it to. It's so romanised  beautiful and vivid. This precise, intricate detail is just so well-thought. This is one of the first books I recommend at work now...

Review  |  Goodreads




After - Morris Gleitzman
After being introduced to this series by my friend, T, I have been a fan of Morris Gleitzman and the adventures of Felix in World War II.
I was a little disappointed with the third in the series, Now, which I thought was the last in the series. UNTIL. This was released and for me, it was the perfect and best end to the Once series. This is not one you read for fun, it's uncomfortable to read with the naive, innocence of Felix, yet extremely poignant.
This series does not need to be read in order, but if you want a book that will help you appreciate life - you've found it.

Review  |  Goodreads







Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
As I said before, adult fiction books don't always seem that attractive. They can be too fluffy, a little too intense or about things I don't quite understand. Being 18, I should REALLY be reading more adult books but WHO CARES.
I bought this book on a whim after being excited for the movie release featuring three of my favourite actors in the main parts (I am yet to see the movie...).
I finally read it a couple of months ago and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I loved the realistic writing and the main character of Kathy. Some say this book is boring, I beg to differ.

Goodreads








The Great Gatsby - F.Scott Fitzgereld
Very rarely have I still liked a book that I've had to study in English, it's something that really ruins English for me as I grow to dislike a book I thought was great after the first read.
That was until The Great Gatsby came along. Actually, the over analysis and facts I had to know about this novel only made me like it even more. If you're going to read a classic, this is a good one being barely 200 pages long yet so much happens. Fitzgerald fits so much impact, profoundness and tension into such a short book that I'm glad he was commended for it.
I am so excited for the film being released next year. I've already made plans with friends (who also do English!) to go and see it. I will enjoy seeing Leonardo Di Caprio on the big screen, just not sure yet about his accent...

Goodreads





HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

3 comments:

  1. The Fault in Our Stars! *swoons* I plan on reading The Great Gatsby soon; I've heard lovely things about it. :)

    Here's my Best Books list:
    http://www.thecritiquingcritica.blogspot.com/2012/12/best-books-i-read-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic list Rebecca! I read and loved The Fault in Our Stars as well!! It has also helped me make new friends by creating a John Green bond between us. ;) I hope to share this amazing book with more people in the future. I also really enjoyed Cinder! It was a fantastic retelling of Cinder, and I liked the world-building a ton. Dash & Lily's Book of Dares was also so adorable. I really do need to pick up a Sarah Dessen book sometime soon!! Everyone seems to love her, but I haven't picked up anything by her yet.

    Fabulous list! I hope 2013 brings you even more fabulous books. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the mention, Rebecca! It's my pleasure to help in anyway! Your blog is my favourite!

    I MUST read VIII this year! And Cinder, which I have wanted to read for a while!
    There are just so many books on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*