Tuesday, 27 July 2010

Fallen Grace - Mary Hooper

Again, I was wandering through my local library looking for a book. Mary Hooper, who basically got me into teen fiction, especially historical once someone brought me my favourite book of hers, The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose. Which I fell in love with (and got signed!). So I knew that she had a new book out and seen it in the shops but was going to wait till it went on paperback. But I saw this on the shelf and picked it up :)

First Sentence: Grace, holding on tightly to her precious burden, found the station entrance without much difficulty.

It's set in London 1861. Grace Parkes, a fifteen year old girl, clutches a bundle with travelling on the train from Waterloo to Brookwood Cemetery to carry out a heart breaking duty. Every day afterwards, Grace and her simple minded older sister, Lily who acts like her younger have to find some way to survive But there is another danger linked to their pasts, long forgotten and a selfish, money loving undertaker family, the Unwins have caught the eye of Grace and will stop at nothing to claim what is rightfully Grace and Lily's...

I maybe slightly bias as I really like Mary Hooper's novels but from the comments I've seen on her Facebook page, lots of people love this book. Grace is a great character and you start to feel really sorry for her. Mary Hooper has also made it more true to by adding in some tragic events that would have happened that year if Grace was a real. She's shown what life would have been like if you were poor in London in Victorian times.  Once you start reading, you see that there is more to the plot than is made out but then, it's not to ruin it. There are so many twists and turns right down to the last page that make me sitting there, my mouth open in shock. If you read it, you'll know what I mean. I must admit though that I'd love to work at the Unwin's Mourning clothes shops on Oxford Street. Sounds a nice place to work to me. Though that maybe my love for fashion.
Anyway, I would recommend this book anyday. It is such a good book for anyone that likes a bit of everything and enjoys historical novels.

 To see the Fallen Grace trailer, click the bold bit :)
Author's Website: www.maryhooper.co.uk 

5 comments:

  1. I have been curious about this one since I first saw the cover. (Such fabulous red hair!)Glad to hear you loved it. I'll keep an eye out for it next time I am book shopping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great book! You usually read books about wealthy Brits in Victorian times. There aren't enough books featuring poor characters. And a clothes shop sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it !!!
    http://mydiariesblogrose.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is really interesting to read about the clothes shop and the way it was like shopping then which is of course, completely different to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sound of all the twists and turns!

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*