Wednesday, 21 July 2010

Love, Lies and Lizzie - Rosie Rushton

Well...normal story. I was in the library, saw this and was like 'Ooooo Pride and Prejudice re-make!', whipped out my library card and rushed towards to the desk in a hurry, getting it and rushing into the sunset, happy. Well, yes, not quite but you get the picture...if anyone is reading this apart from myself.
First Sentence:  "So you dumped him? Just like that? In the middle of the school trip? ARE YOU CRAZY?"

The story follows 'Lizzie' Bennet and her family of Jane, Meredith (whose that in P&P?), Lydia, Katie (??) and Mr and Mrs Bennet who of course meet the Bingleys and Mr Pompous Darcy who is named James (But middle name is Fitzwilliam who anyone that cares) and if you know the story of Pride and Prejudice then, it is that but in a modern version with mobiles, boys, gap years and singing. Suddenly, Elizabeth is amazing at singing and wants to do Music therapy.

Well, when I first started reading it, I was thinking 'God, Jane Austen would be turning in her grave' and at the beginning, the word 'muttered' is repeated a number of times on the same page. Not the only word you could use, Rushton.
Anyway, I actually really enjoyed this book in the end. It was just a nice and modern way to get to grips with Austen and the fact that Rosie Rushton has written other successful novels like this of the other Austen novels, I am actually going to go looking for them. It's very witty and I found myself smiling many a time.
So....it is a truth universally acknowledged that you shouldn't judge a book by the first couple of pages and I shall read more of her books in the future...

Author's Website: www.rosierushton.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*