Sunday, 20 January 2013

On My Bookshelf (33)

This meme for originally inspired by 'In My Mailbox' created by The Story Siren
Other versions are:
Letterbox Love created by Narratively Speaking
Stacking the Shelves created by Tynga's reviews
Showcase Sunday created by Books, Biscuits and Tea

This is probably the last one for a couple of weeks. The next one should include my 18th birthday (ah!) which is in just over two weeks. 


Bought:
- The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan - This is a book I've read already (my review) after borrowing it from a friend. This is one of the most clever books I have come across, featuring the story in the form of a dictionary of words that mean something particularly special to this couple which when pieced together make a heartbreaking narrative. It is a book I liked, not loved yet when I saw this for £1 at work, it was a little too good not to buy. I'll be whacking this one out when I need a quick read or a good old cry.

- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - After studying Wide Sargasso Sea (the unofficial prequel to Jane Eyre about Bertha), writing about in my coursework and then seeing the film of Jane Eyre, I realised I really wanted to read this novel. I need to read more classics anyway so I thought this would be a good start as I already know the story. I found this in the sale at work also and loved the cover. Nice cheap book buying spree!


Kindle:
I've had quite a lot of new e-books on my Kindle recently from Netgalley and the Amazon sale so I thought I'd include them!




- Dare You To by Katie McGarry
I've read the first book in this series, Pushing the Limits (see for my review) following two troubled teens, Noah and Echo. This book, for those that have also read PtL, is about Noah's friend, Beth and her romantic encounter. It's sure to be the typical easy holiday read so I may save this until March when I go away.
Thank you to Netgalley and Harlequin Teen



- The S-Word by Chelsea Pitcher
When I saw the title for this on Netgalley, I was intrigued to see what this book was about. The blurb makes this book sound really powerful and quite promising so I was thrilled when I was accepted to download the galley. This book is about a high school where, after being bullied for making a bad choice, Lizzie commits suicide - but the taunting continues after her death and her best friend, Angie, tries to find out who drove Lizzie to her death. From reading some of the reviews on Goodreads, however, I might put this to the bottom of my TBR pile...
Thank you to Netgalley and Simon and Schuster

- How To Save A Life by Sara Zarr
I've never read anything by Sara Zarr but seen frequent shining reviews of her books, including this one. There was a review copy of this hanging around at work but after a little search, it seems someone threw it away.
I bought this in the Kindle 12 Days of Christmas Sale because 99p? I am so buying that.
Also, does anyone else think of The Fray song whenever they see this title? No? Just me...



- Glitches by Marissa Meyer
While waiting for the next instalment in Meyer's Lunar Chronicles series, Scarlet, due out in the next few weeks, a free e-book prequel to Cinder (my review) is always much appreciated.
I read Cinder last year and it became one of my favourite books of the year quickly. Glitches is the prequel to Cinder looking at how Cinder came to be living with her horrible step-mother and sisters. Looking forward to this!

4 comments:

  1. I totally think of the song by The Fray! Cue me having it stuck in my head for the rest of the day...
    Dare You To!! Please start it straight away so I have someone to talk about it with! I mush have amazing self-restraint because I haven't given away anything...yet!
    Some lovely books! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How to Save a Life is fantastic and I'm dying to get hold of Dare You To and The S Word. E joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cover for Lover's dictionary! Eeep, can't wait to read Scarlet - I absolutely adored Cinder. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ran across your blog a couple of months ago [I just realised I should have followed you since your blog is amazing] anyway since your blog inspired me to start my own I have nominated you for Libester awards to find out more please go to the link http://www.skyrosereviews.com/2013/01/the-liebster-award.html

    Beth

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*