Sunday, 26 February 2012

Special £1 editions of Maureen Johnson & Will Hill

For those who live in the UK, this is something you may be interested in.

Every year is World Book Day on the 1st March where those under the age of 18 and in full-time education are given a £1 book token to buy either the special editions released for the day or to contribute to a book of their choice (although they have to pay the rest).
It is something I personally have grown up with, the excitement when I was young to receive the token, thinking already what I will be buying with it. It is something that really encouraged me and many others to do the ancient activity of just reading. Something that is so important in a digital media generation that this world is developing into.

Anyway, because mostly the £1 special World Book Day books are normally only a selection of children's books (for this year's selection, click here)

However, because us teenager's get a little left out once we hit 14 and aren't exactly interested in cute kittens and finding a caterpillar, Waterstones (a UK bookstore) have decided to release special editions sold at £1 for the day of two YA titles, starting tomorrow (27th February)
These are:

The Name of the Star - Maureen Johnson 

Department 19 - Will Hill

Both of which are supposed to be VERY good books so this is a great selection for Waterstones to choose. Just to emphasise, this IS JUST AT WATERSTONES FOR THESE TWO BOOKS. It is merely a promotion as part of World Book Day to make us YA readers feel less left out. 
I personally will be running from the train station after college to (thankfully only a 5 minute walk) my local store to get The Name of The Star. Thanks Waterstones!

For more info, click here to go to Maureen Johnson's blog where she explains everything. 

Enjoy - let me know if you got a copy!



2 comments:

  1. ooh, thanks for the heads up :-) Is it going to be different titles each day until world book day? I'll probably have to wait until the weekend, since I don't live anywhere near a Waterstones but this is still good news. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no, it's just these two books for the whole period. I'm not sure when the promotion finishes but you should be okay until the weekend.
    I worked at Waterstones for a bit and your best bet is to ring them up and reserve a copy of whichever book you want and say you'll pick it up at the weekend. Then, you know you've got a copy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*