Wednesday, 19 March 2014

Why I Left Waterstones

That's right. I admit with a lot of sadness that I am no longer a bookseller at Waterstones. Some may know this, others may not. However, I feel that I should explain my decision in some way and also to let the emotions and decisions behind this move out in a way I have always used to do so.

I loved my time at Waterstones, I really do and I do miss spending my weekends surrounded by books and people that share my love with those books. I didn't particularly want to leave but I think, for myself, for the shop I worked within and for the customers I shared my experiences and passion for books with, it was the right thing to do.
I also love university, and that's the thing. University got in the way of my bookselling and bookselling got in the way of my time at university. There are a number of other reasons but essentially that is the main reason. With all the deadlines that have been piling up ever since, I'm glad I decided to leave otherwise I would have had to let down my colleagues.

I miss my job a lot, I miss having that to look forward every week and having something purposeful to do on a Saturday instead of lazying around all day. I miss feeling so independent while working and having some 'me-time'. I miss my colleagues and the easy way I had with them. I miss talking about books all day and sharing my favourite books with those around me. I miss saying I'm a bookseller.

However, I am still in touch with my old manager from home so hopefully I can get a job in the summer or Christmas or something. It's weird walking past my old store when I go home, looking in and seeing my old colleagues particularly the ones I got on the best with and knowing the ins and outs of that shop. It's so weird, saddening and annoying in some aspects but I believe it was the right decision and I don't regret it mostly.

Sorry this was a bit of a soppy post, but I think I needed to let it out a little bit to move on. Have a good week guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*