Sunday, 9 May 2010

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac - Gabrielle Zevin

I got recommended this book by a friend when I was at her house. She gave me the book, promising me that I'd love it. I've read 'Elsewhere', also by Gabrielle Zevin and even though I thought Elsewhere was good, it wasn't amazing. So, I guess, I was a bit negative when I started this book. But I finished it this morning....oh dear god...I LOVE IT. haha :)

First Sentence: Above all, mine is a love story.And like most love stories, this one involves chance, gravity, a dash of head trauma. It began with a coin toss. The coin came up tails; I was heads.


If the coin had hit heads, there would be no book. But it hit heads... Naomi Porter has woken up in hospital with no idea why she is there and what has happened over the last 5 years. She doesn't know that her parents are divorced, she has a sister, who are friends are and if she has a boyfriend or not. As she pieces together what has happened before she lost her memory, she finds out that some of her life is best forgotton.

To start off with, I was sitting there thinking 'Get on with it.' but to be honest, the opening paragraph is needed and immediatly captured my attention. (That really sounds like something my english teacher would say, sorry). Naomi falls in love with guys (trying not to let too much away) - and if it wasn't a book and real life, she would be classed many things. Though, if the book was real life, you probably wouldn't remember your boyfriend and happen to like the guy that found you at the bottom of some steps. You never know. My favourite characters were Will, her best friend who if, in my opinion, was a real person, I would beg him to be my best friend. And Alice who just comes out with some of the funniest things. Didn't like Ace, you'll find out who he is, he's a bit of a jerk. I found a movie of it release this year but it's a Japanese movie (with Emma Roberts as Alice?) and I don't think it's going to be release over here. Sad. Overall, I would read and recommend this novel to anyone reading this.

I give it 5 out of 5

Author's Website: www.memoirsofa.com/

2 comments:

  1. ahh i love this book so much! i hope it gets made into a film too! :) just seen this blog rebecca- well done! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hello!
      Thank you! Yeah, I wasn't too keen Gabrielle Zevin's other book 'Elsewhere' but I really liked this one. She's just realised another book called 'All the Things I've Done' which looks good.
      This is a review I did a while ago, I forgot about this! :) x

      Delete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*