Friday, 11 April 2014

We Were Liars - E. Lockhart

Source: Netgalley
Pages: 240
Publisher: Random House

Synopsis: A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

Review: No-one can talk about this book without many exclamation marks, capital letters and surprise. Just as a warning before I continue...

OH MY! There are a lot of emotions and thoughts that tangle amongst each other in my head when I think about my reaction to this book as I've seen similar to many other bloggers and their reactions to this book.

I started reading this after suddenly seeing lots of reviews for it and it mentioned a lot on Twitter. I've not been reading much in the last few weeks because of deadlines and assignments and Breaking Bad taking over my life, but after seeing the hype being slowly generated for this book, I thought I should read it soon. I had already been interested in it and requested it on Netgalley.

I was unsure about what to think to start with. The main character is one I disliked instantly, but somehow I felt more and more sorry for her as the story continued. The writing is very poetic, prose-y and that's not always something I enjoy when I'm reading, so it was quite hard for me to get into it and at one point I thought about starting Lauren Oliver's new book and then-
Suddenly and without any warning I was hooked. This is a relatively short book that in general should have taken me a good week to finish. Three days later, I had finished this book and was sitting in bed staring at my bookcase wondering what the hell had just happened in the final pages. There are so many twists and turns, some I saw, some I really, really didn't see, and it's all done so cleverly and fits together.

This review is a short one because I think it's better to go into this book without absolutely no clue. I agree, it's not something I like doing when reading books, I actually hate doing that, but when it comes to WE WERE LIARS, it needs to happen. This book is brilliant, it shows up everything I love about reading and books and writing and the best part is that there is nothing that I know of that is quite like this book out there right now. The hype at the moment? I totally get why, I recommend everyone and anyone to read this book. I'm definitely going to look out for more of E. Lockhart's stuff.

I give it a 5 out of 5


WE WERE LIARS will be published on 13th May 2014 in the UK


Thank you to Random House for allowing me to read and review this book on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. 

3 comments:

  1. REALLY want to read this! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my must- read list for 2014. The premise of the story is just so intriguing to me right now as I'm kind of in a contemporary- ish mood :D

    Awesome review :D and I will definitely be subscribing to your ah-mazing blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I do book reviews and stuff too! maybe we could be blog buddies?wanderlustfiction.blogspot.com
    mind following me via GFC? ill follow back

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*